Moringa leaf powder mixes nicely into countless recipes. Pesto sauce happens to be one of the best, however. The nutty and herby flavors of this classic Italian creation pair perfectly with moringa's comparable taste. The bonus? Moringa adds over 92 bio-available plant based nutrients into your meal.
We're constantly searching for and creating recipes with our moringa leaf powder. This turned out to be one of our favorites.
Classic pesto sauce is a thick blend of basil, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic and Parmesan cheese. You can pick up a jar at just about any shopping market, although we're partial to the Trader Joe's variety. Even better, make your own, as many store bought pesto sauces are a bit on the salty side. Here's a tasty recipe from Epicurious.
If you're vegan, or simply not into olive oil, try this 15 minute avocado pesto recipe from Oh She Glows.
It doesn't matter which sauce you buy or make, moringa leaf powder pairs marvelously.
Moringa Pesto Tagliatelle with Homemade Turkey Ragù & Manchego
- 1 bag of pasta (use any type you like, we like brown rice pasta but didn't have any on hand)
- 1 jar or about 7 oz. of pesto sauce
- 2 medium onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 large tomato,
- 1 lb. of turkey breast (or chicken, tofu, portabella mushrooms or any other meat substitute)
- 1 tablespoon of moringamio organic moringa leaf powder
- Wedge of cheese for grating (we used manchego)
- Boil water in a large pot with a pinch of salt and a dash of olive oil.
- Cook pasta to your liking
- Drain the pasta and then add your pesto sauce and a tablespoon of moringa leaf powder
- Mix thoroughly with the pasta
- Dice the onions, garlic and tomato
- Sautee the onion and tomato in a pre-heated pan with olive oil
- Cut the turkey breast or meat alternative into strips
- After the onions and tomato are soft and becoming transparent, add the meat and garlic
- After the liquid has cooked away, add in about 3/4 cup of tomato paste.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste
- Stir and serve atop a bed of pesto pasta
Garnish with freshly grated cheese and fresh basil leaves.A little moringa leaf powder sprinkled on top also adds a dash of color and extra nutrition.
4 cloves of garlic might be a bit much for some. If you're not garlic lovers like us, try 2 cloves instead.
More from the moringamio blog: 7 Surprising Benefits of Daily Meditation